Since Zigen’s inception, helping rural kids to finish school has been a central focus of Zigen’s projects. By providing tuition and schools fees to families in economic hardship, Zigen has made schooling affordable for a large number of rural children, especially girls who were denied the opportunity to education.
Supporting students in village elementary schools and junior high schools still forms the core of Zigen projects and receives the largest portion of the donated funds. Zigen’s advocacy for long of education of children at the elementary and secondary stage as a basic human right is echoed and vindicated by Chinese government’s move to make basic education free in poor rural areas in the 2000s. However, Zigen’s scholarship projects have continued, as some families of students are still facing rising cost of schooling, in spite of the implementation of “free education” by the government.
Besides scholarships, Zigen supported other school projects, including improvements of school infrastructures, donation of equipments, subsidies for teachers, improvements of student living quarters and food, extra curricular activities, training, and local culture heritage.
One School, One Village: a program for integrated and coordinated community development
- The “One School One Village” program is an integrated community development program that will ensure the sustainability of rural villages in China.
- The program supports basic needs of the whole village, with the school as the launch pad, while encouraging school-village interactions
- Actively involve particular groups, such as women, children, elderly, and migrant families, and promote lifetime education in health and environment
Exemplary projects for schools
- Improvement of living quarters and nutrition
- Support of library and equipments
- Improvements of School health facilities
- Teachers training
Exemplary projects for villages
- Environment and health education
- Village leadership training
- Promotion of appropriate technology
- Associations and activities for women and senior citiezens.
Exemplary projects for village-school interactions and integrations
- Village PTAs; Villagers participation in school education
- Curriculum on environment, health, practical knowledge, and local cultures; related activities.
Scope and budget
- Up to 20 villages (villages will long history of Zigen support and demonstration effect), and approx. 80,000 people receiving direct benefit. Budets for each village-school pairs: $10,000.
List of “One School, One Village” program locations
- Gaopa Village/School
- Gaopa Village/School
- Nanmeng Village/School
- Sanjiaotian Village/School
- Dunan Village/School
- Zhuanjiao Village/School
- Jiaopengyan Village/School
- Tianjiacha Village/School
- Xiaosuan Village/School of Shanxi Province
- Tumenzi Village/School
- Fengguo Village/School
- Huaguoshan Village/School
- Caochang Village/School
- Dasendian Village/School
- Mazhanzi Village/School